Friday, April 24, 2009

An Update on Yesterday's Post

Yesterday I thought I'd roast the eggplant and make hummus and bread but that was before I moved around the empty bottles of salad dressing in my refrigerator and discovered I had a bottle of capers.  Capers are capable of making anything taste good.  Then I saw, standing there, shining,  from the top shelf of the fridge, like Glen Close in the Natural, a half bottle of Rao's Marinara Sauce.  Not even moldy!  And as if that weren't enough, I also found a very small can of Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes (which are the best canned tomatoes in the world) hiding behind the chickpeas.  And then, because the pantry gods were clearly smiling down on me from their lofty home in Bedford NY, I realized I had a box of couscous.

Well, the eggplant was already roasted, so I just scraped all the good eggplant-y stuff out from the skin (which no one in my family likes because the skin can be a bit bitter) threw it in a hot pan with olive oil, crushed garlic and a couple of tablespoons of capers, the chickpeas, the Rao's and the can of  tomatoes.  Let it simmer for about 15 min.  OH -- yeah, I also spilled some of Shiraz I was drinking into the whole thing because it looked dry.  Then I let it simmer for 15 minutes.  Served it all over the couscous.  (Well, Smith's and my portions, anyway.  Even though I'm not in the habit of doing this, I cooked up more tortellini for Mads and Em because they asked me nicely)

It was delicious, although my daughters picked the chickpeas out of theirs and fed them to the dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are you having for dinner tonight?